Sunday, September 21, 2014

What's going to taste best today? FREEDOM TOMORROW.

I feel weak. I feel as though I've failed somehow, despite completing the SNAP Challenge successfully. At times I was frustrated, other times I was just hungry.. sometimes it felt easy, and other times it felt like torture.

Today is the last day of the SNAP Challenge and I'm already looking forward to eating "normally." Andrea and I are already plotting our next dining moves. We're knee-deep in excitement at the thought of going to CostCo and Schnucks to buy food. 

I was more than ready for dinner about halfway through my workday. I texted Andrea asking her to describe the pork loin, haha. I had a plan to briefly live vicariously through her. Unfortunately, the only satisfaction I had during the afternoon was a bowl full of bagged salad mix.

Andrea was gone at a concert, and I enjoyed the pork loin and potatoes all by myself. It felt magical. It was the first decent portion of protein I'd had all week, besides the chicken tacos. 

As the SNAP Challenge concludes, I reflect back a bit on my experience. I now have a taste of what it's like to live in a SNAP recipient's shoes. Just a taste. I had freedom to look forward to on Monday. I had an end in sight. Many SNAP recipients live in the situation on a long-term basis. The SNAP Challenge is a SNAP recipient's life. It's not a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment