Sunday, September 21, 2014

Looking Back on the Past Week

As we finish the last day of the SNAP Challenge, I wanted my final entry to be a reflection of all the things I learned from my experiences. 

I have worked with people seeking food assistance and helping them through the sometimes complex process of applying for SNAP, but I didn’t have complete understanding until I walked in their shoes for a week.

Some key realizations I had during the process -

Freedom – I have definitely taken for granted my ability to buy a variety of nutritious food.  This freedom goes out the window on food stamps.  I was concerned about what was cheap and what would stretch.  I got sick of certain types of food and I was only eating everything for just a week.  Also, I missed the freedom to run out and grab a snack or a drink.

      Effort – We put a decent amount of effort into planning a menu and calculating to make sure we were within budget.  I think about someone who might be juggling 2 or even 3 jobs and whether they would have the time or energy to meticulously plan all their meals and budget to make sure they had enough for the whole month.

      Hunger – I never thought this much about food in a strategic way and I haven’t been that hungry in quite sometime.   I never realized how the little snacks I eat here and there kept my appetite under control until I didn’t have the luxury.

After taking this challenge, it further solidifies my support in the SNAP program. I have increased appreciation for all the awesome, interesting people I get to meet and the amazing job I have the opportunity to do everyday. 

I highly recommend you take the challenge to see if you can live on $4.26 a day.  I guarantee it will open your eyes to those experiencing food insecurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment